Tuesday 19 May 2015

Let the action talk.

Last Saturday afternoon instead of taking part in GuruMuayThai class as we usually do.
Me and my great friend and training partner Michael drove to Coventry, where represented our club at kickboxing show.
Going there we didn't know nothing about my opponent apart of that his weight should match my 75kg and that we were going to fight K1 rules.
We got in there with no expectations what so ever.
All we had in our strategy was to use all our strengths and experience the best we can possibly do.
This is one of the things we have learnt over the years of travelling and competing  around.
There is no point of wasting our precious energy on speculating and stressing over what my opponent brings with him.
Obviously I get some thoughts building up in my head going towards possible abilities and skills of my opponent but instead of concentrating  on what he has got in his sleeve, I am trying to turn it into planning how am I going to respond.
What we have always been taught by our coaches is that it doesn't matter what they can do if you don't give them chance to do it.
So the plan is simple: put the work rate very high, double up on each attack from the other side and make sure I do always respond. According to the plan, as long as my kicks and punches are solid, my distance and timing are right and I use the angles right way, I can't go wrong.
Michael has reminded me few facts about my strengths and advantages, what has pushed away any even minor self doubt.
In the ring anything can really happen, but I know for sure that negative thoughts are not going to make it any better. All they can do is; make me not perform to my best and make me regret things I haven't done after the fight. I've been there before.
I have walked into the ring as second, my rival and his team were already there.
Stepping in I could feel his eyes on me at all times. When I looked at him, he looked very angry and determined to hurt me. He definitely wanted to play the eye contact game ( must have watched a lot of UFC I suppose). I haven't fallowed the game, it isn't much of my style. Again I rather to save my energy and show my skills in the fight, not before.
That's how I have always wanted to be. Humble, respectful and calm fighter which talks with the actions at the appropriate time.
I suppose everyone reacts different to the stress and everyone has got different methods of breaking the opponent confidence.
I believe that my fighting experience makes me not only better fighter and instructor but also better human being in general. 
That's why I wanna be able to control my emotions and my life in the ring as well as outside.
I wanna be positive and confident and push the negativity away.
It is great if you have like minded people surrounding you, like my coaches and team Mates.
You can consider yourself a lucky.
I do.
P.S I have won that fight by unanimous decision. 
www.GMMA.co.uk     

No comments:

Post a Comment